One Mom's Perfect Imperfections

has been moved to new address

http://www.onemomsperfectimperfection.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

One Mom's Perfect Imperfection: Black & White Wednesday: Meet Scout

One Mom's Perfect Imperfection

One mom's journey through life and her hodgepodge of hobbies.

23 June 2010

Black & White Wednesday: Meet Scout

Meet Scout.  He is a four year old German Shepherd and he's fantastic!  He belongs to some of our best friends back in Kentucky.  I think I mentioned that this is where we spent our weekend.  I pull up into their driveway and this gorgeous creature came to great me.  



I understand that this breed of dogs can be somewhat intimidating but Scout is a gentle giant.  My kids rubbed all over him the whole day through and Scout hardly blinked an eye.  But if one of the kids started to fuss, he was by their side in an instant to make sure he/she was alright, though he'd never met them before.  This is one of my favorite traits of these dogs - protective.  

I grew up with a German Shepherd of my own.  Her name was Dutchess.  Dutchess and I were inseparable.  I napped on her.  She drug me out of the woods after getting lost one day exploring.  When I fell down the steps she was the first one to the bottom to see if I was okay.  And if someone she didn't know came up to the house, she stood between the stranger and me until she knew that stranger wouldn't hurt me.  Protective.  Scout reminded me of Dutchess.  A little too much maybe.  Many childhood memories of my dog and me came flooding back and I may have tried to put Scout in my car.  More than once. 

I can't think of anything that brings me closer to tears than when my old dog -- completely exhausted after a hard day in the field -- limps away from her nice spot in front of the fire and comes over to where I'm sitting and puts her head in my lap, a paw over my knee, and closes her eyes and goes back to sleep. I don't know what I've done to deserve that kind of friend.
-- Gene Hill

Scout, I can't wait for the day we meet again.  Maybe I'll be successful in dognapping you to Memphis.  Or maybe I'll have a little Scout of my very own.  Time will tell....

Linking up with The Long Road to China for Black & White Wednesday...

the long road

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

  • At June 23, 2010 at 6:28 AM , Anonymous Ashley Sisk said...

    What a beautiful dog. My coworker would love this shot - she has a german shepherd too. Great dogs.

     
  • At June 23, 2010 at 6:40 AM , Anonymous Lindsey said...

    Our German Shepherd, Heidi, is the exact same way. I love that about them. She will stand on our deck and look in the windows and when the cable guy was in the house one day she about came through the window she was so protective. I had to open the door and tell her it was ok but even that didn't help. She likes to be in between you and the stranger. Most people are a little fearful of her and I like that. She is as gentle as can be with the kids but I want strangers to be fearful of her. Love this post!!

     
  • At June 23, 2010 at 7:51 AM , Anonymous Courtney said...

    I love seeing pics of your dog. She's gorgeous! I also like the idea of strangers coming to the house being a little fearful of a dog, especially when you have small children. Our current dog weighs all of 12 pounds and will lick you to death.

     
  • At June 23, 2010 at 7:52 AM , Anonymous Courtney said...

    They are great. I definitely hope to have another one someday.

     
  • At June 23, 2010 at 9:19 AM , Anonymous Faith Raider said...

    We had a German Shepherd mix named Lucy - I loved the feeling of being protected by her.

     
  • At June 23, 2010 at 9:20 AM , Anonymous Faith Raider said...

    Ha! That is so funny. Our current dog is the same way :) But at least she barks when strangers come to the door. I like that.

     
  • At June 23, 2010 at 9:26 AM , Anonymous Courtney said...

    Our current dog is named Lucy. But she weighs all of 12 pounds and doesn't understand anything about protection. Only licking you to death.

     
  • At June 23, 2010 at 9:27 AM , Anonymous Courtney said...

    LOL - I just basically replied the same thing back to you not realizing you had replied to this comment. Sorry - you get to read it twice. Our Lucy does bark when someone comes to the door. That is nice, at least.

     
  • At June 23, 2010 at 12:45 PM , Anonymous Tyler said...

    nothing better than a wonderful dog. My dog growing up was a Golden Retriever.. she was the best. Went with us kiddos everywhere we went and then waited on us and walked us home (when we were in the neighborhood of course ;) I want one so bad for Emma! They are so wonderful.

     
  • At June 23, 2010 at 1:30 PM , Anonymous Wanda (At Last...) said...

    That's a lovely story of the dog you had growing up. And that's a sweet shot of Scout. They are great dogs.

     
  • At June 23, 2010 at 1:52 PM , Anonymous Eboix518 said...

    great story, and great photo!

     
  • At June 23, 2010 at 2:06 PM , Anonymous Courtney said...

    Thanks so much!

     
  • At June 23, 2010 at 2:06 PM , Anonymous Courtney said...

    They truly are! Thanks so much. Glad you stopped by!

     
  • At June 23, 2010 at 2:06 PM , Anonymous Courtney said...

    I could see Emma with a golden retriever. Good dogs!

     
  • At June 24, 2010 at 6:47 AM , Anonymous Maddy said...

    We had a German Sheperd growing up - King! He was such a friendly guy with us little kids, but very protective when it came to strangers. I think they make wonderful guard dogs. We never had an incident with him! They make wonderful pets :)

     
  • At June 24, 2010 at 7:35 AM , Anonymous Courtney said...

    I agree, Maddy. They do make wonderful guard dogs. So glad you stopped by today!

     
  • At June 28, 2010 at 7:02 PM , Anonymous Lisamuth said...

    What a wonderful story.....and such a beautiful dog!

    Lisa

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home