One Mom's Perfect Imperfections

has been moved to new address

http://www.onemomsperfectimperfection.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

One Mom's Perfect Imperfection: More Craftiness

One Mom's Perfect Imperfection

One mom's journey through life and her hodgepodge of hobbies.

28 April 2010

More Craftiness

I had a pretty crafty weekend thanks to some wacky spring storms that blew up in the Memphis area.  I decided to try my hand at another sewing project - a camera strap cover for my new baby.  I didn't really use specific tutorial.  I researched a little reading several tutorials and then formed my own idea of what would work for me in my head and set it into action.  I was very pleased with the results, especially considering this is only my SECOND sewing project.  EVER.

I didn't want to destroy the camera strap that came with my new baby, just cover it up & make it pretty.  Also, I liked the idea of changing strap covers.  Many of you know I get bored easy.


I headed to Hobby Lobby & actually had a bit of a hard time picking out fabric.  I never really found anything that felt really me.  But I thought this was feminine and pretty so this is what I came home with.



I used a quilting ruler to measure my strap as well as my material.



I also measured my lens cap because I wanted to sew a little pocket on the front of the strap for it.



Measure twice and cut once, right?



Before I went to the sewing machine, I laid everything out tucking the sides in to see if everything fit accordingly.  So far, so good.



Off the sewing machine we go.  



My seams are getting straighter, thank goodness.  Takes practice.



Now, I added quilt batting to one side (the side against my neck) of the material because I wanted a little padding and comfort while carrying around my big girl camera.  But I was afraid to put it on both sides because I was sure I'd have a hard time threading my camera strap through.  However, after it's all said and done, I'm probably going to look for a better method my next go 'round.  

I think sewed only the short edges of the cover.



Then I attacked my little pocket, sewing him on the lower front of the strap cover (the side without the quilt batting).  I wanted to make sure to do this prior to sewing the long edges of the cover together.



With pocket in tact, I then sewed the long edges.



Then I turned the cover right side out.



Nice, huh?!  Not bad for my second project.



And now to thread the camera strap through its new cover.



Everything fits!  What a proud moment.  



Now that I've used it a couple of times, I will say that I LOVE the padding against my neck from the quilt batting.  Things I will do a little different next time:  It's a little wider than the actual camera strap to accommodate the lens cap pocket so I might taper it at the bottom where the end meets the actual strap.  Other than that, I'm pretty pleased with it!

Hope y'all enjoyed!  

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

  • At April 28, 2010 at 5:51 AM , Anonymous Suzanne said...

    Wow! Wish you lived near me. I wanted to turn my 5 year old's jeans with holes in the knees into a skirt, but I don't really sew!

     
  • At April 28, 2010 at 6:43 AM , Anonymous Christina said...

    I knew you could do it!

     
  • At April 28, 2010 at 7:18 AM , Anonymous timlinzrowland said...

    Great Job!!! I love that fabric!!

     
  • At April 28, 2010 at 7:34 AM , Anonymous Jes said...

    how cute!

     
  • At April 28, 2010 at 7:54 AM , Anonymous Mandy Pfeiffer said...

    Super cute project, and I love that fabric!~ I made some booties from it a while ago! Looks like you and your machine are getting well acquainted! =)

     
  • At April 28, 2010 at 8:29 AM , Anonymous Christina said...

    I bought a cute camera strap ... it doesn't slip over my canon strap.... it is it's own piece. I wonder if you can purchase those black clasps & make some. I bet your bloggy friends would buy them.

     
  • At April 28, 2010 at 9:04 AM , Anonymous Liz said...

    I really, really love that fabric! And the lens cap is a great idea! How hard was this? my first class is the 3rd.

     
  • At April 28, 2010 at 2:56 PM , Anonymous CourtneyN said...

    it really wasn't hard at all. there are several tutorials online you can use if you decide to try it.

     
  • At April 28, 2010 at 2:57 PM , Anonymous CourtneyN said...

    i bet you could. haven't looked into it yet.

     
  • At April 28, 2010 at 2:57 PM , Anonymous CourtneyN said...

    Thanks, Mandy! We're getting along just fine. ;)

     
  • At April 28, 2010 at 2:57 PM , Anonymous CourtneyN said...

    thank you!!!

     
  • At April 28, 2010 at 2:57 PM , Anonymous CourtneyN said...

    thanks so much!

     
  • At April 28, 2010 at 7:45 PM , Anonymous carissa said...

    i'm pretty sure you could sell these things and make big bucks! it's beautiful!

     
  • At April 28, 2010 at 9:26 PM , Anonymous Cindy A said...

    That is so very cool! I might have to make this :)!

     
  • At April 28, 2010 at 11:43 PM , Anonymous Julie said...

    I made these awhile back. LOVE IT! so much better than the digging that was goin' on before! Gotta hate "camera strap dig"!! I was kicking myself after I made them, because I then saw the ones with the nifty lens cap holder. ugh. That'll be my next project!!

    Congrats on the Chicago dog award...from a fellow Chicago dog recipient! he he

     
  • At June 11, 2010 at 10:28 PM , Anonymous Michelle said...

    I know this is an older post, but I am lurking and clicking all over your blog since I have found it ha ha. Along with my new "big girl" camera I received last week, I also got a baby sewing machine (it was my birthday). Now when I say baby I mean BABY machine. It reminds me of my daughters old Easy Bake Oven except it is the sewing machine version. I plan on trying to make one of these with my new baby machine for my new big girl camera!! Thank you for the break down of how you completed it!

     
  • At July 11, 2010 at 10:42 AM , Anonymous Kate said...

    I'd love to try this project. I have a lot of left over fabric and this would be good to try to use some of it up. Well...as long as I don't pick something too girly because my husband won't use it.

    Oh I'm on to something here...maybe I'll get control of the camera then...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home