One Mom's Perfect Imperfections

has been moved to new address

http://www.onemomsperfectimperfection.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

One Mom's Perfect Imperfection: More Craftiness

One Mom's Perfect Imperfection

One mom's journey through life and her hodgepodge of hobbies.

28 April 2010

More Craftiness

I had a pretty crafty weekend thanks to some wacky spring storms that blew up in the Memphis area.  I decided to try my hand at another sewing project - a camera strap cover for my new baby.  I didn't really use specific tutorial.  I researched a little reading several tutorials and then formed my own idea of what would work for me in my head and set it into action.  I was very pleased with the results, especially considering this is only my SECOND sewing project.  EVER.

I didn't want to destroy the camera strap that came with my new baby, just cover it up & make it pretty.  Also, I liked the idea of changing strap covers.  Many of you know I get bored easy.


I headed to Hobby Lobby & actually had a bit of a hard time picking out fabric.  I never really found anything that felt really me.  But I thought this was feminine and pretty so this is what I came home with.



I used a quilting ruler to measure my strap as well as my material.



I also measured my lens cap because I wanted to sew a little pocket on the front of the strap for it.



Measure twice and cut once, right?



Before I went to the sewing machine, I laid everything out tucking the sides in to see if everything fit accordingly.  So far, so good.



Off the sewing machine we go.  



My seams are getting straighter, thank goodness.  Takes practice.



Now, I added quilt batting to one side (the side against my neck) of the material because I wanted a little padding and comfort while carrying around my big girl camera.  But I was afraid to put it on both sides because I was sure I'd have a hard time threading my camera strap through.  However, after it's all said and done, I'm probably going to look for a better method my next go 'round.  

I think sewed only the short edges of the cover.



Then I attacked my little pocket, sewing him on the lower front of the strap cover (the side without the quilt batting).  I wanted to make sure to do this prior to sewing the long edges of the cover together.



With pocket in tact, I then sewed the long edges.



Then I turned the cover right side out.



Nice, huh?!  Not bad for my second project.



And now to thread the camera strap through its new cover.



Everything fits!  What a proud moment.  



Now that I've used it a couple of times, I will say that I LOVE the padding against my neck from the quilt batting.  Things I will do a little different next time:  It's a little wider than the actual camera strap to accommodate the lens cap pocket so I might taper it at the bottom where the end meets the actual strap.  Other than that, I'm pretty pleased with it!

Hope y'all enjoyed!  

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home