One Mom's Perfect Imperfections

has been moved to new address

http://www.onemomsperfectimperfection.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

One Mom's Perfect Imperfection: I'm a Big Girl Now!

One Mom's Perfect Imperfection

One mom's journey through life and her hodgepodge of hobbies.

21 April 2010

I'm a Big Girl Now!

My husband is the best. I mean it. He's truly one of a kind.  He's watched my obsession love for photography grow rapidly over the last couple of years and is supporting it with all his might.  He could secretly be hoping I make us some money one day.  But for now, he has surprised me with an early Mother's Day present - my big girl camera!  I have been saving a little at a time hoping I'd be able to purchase it sometime around Christmas this year but Mike has boosted it up and all right before our vacation that's coming up in less than two weeks.  You can only imagine my excitement!  This is my new baby:



A Canon Rebel T1i EOS 500D.  And I have no idea how to use it.  Actually, it is somewhat familiar because I have been using a Canon PowerShot for the last year and it's been great.  I'll continue to carry it with me for daily use.  But sticking with Canon, I'm not completely in the dark.  I'm reading the manual and doing a little experimenting.  So I hope to have a few tricks worked out before we leave for vacation and bring back some incredible pics.

This camera came with the EFS 18-55 mm lens.  I haven't done much research on lenses yet so I'd love to hear what those of you that have DSLR cameras think I should purchase next.  I also welcome any and all suggestions, tips and tricks with this camera.  Those of you that blog about photography tutorials, I'm stalking you.  I'm just sayin'.  

I'm so very blessed to have a husband that loves me unconditionally through all of my crazy obsessions hobbies and even feeds them.  How loved am I???

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

  • At April 21, 2010 at 7:45 AM , Anonymous Liz said...

    Craig has the Nikon D50 - Basically, the Nikon equivalent to yours. I know he bought a new lense for it that was better for portrait type shots. I'll ask him more about it and why he bought it.

     
  • At April 21, 2010 at 7:59 AM , Anonymous shakeragsusan said...

    Well, I officially have camera envy! Enjoy! And I'm looking forward to seeing your great pics, too!
    Way to go, hubby!

     
  • At April 21, 2010 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Christina said...

    Congratulations on your new addition! Take your time to get to know your new baby {just like you would a real one}. I got mine last June {2009} and I am ALWAYS learning new things about the camera.

    I do A LOT of shooting in the AV mode. Try it...you will love it. {but with that particular lens/the one that comes with it} you will have to make sure you are shooting in a well lighted area}

    I highly suggest you get a 50mm lens next. It doesn't have zoom....you just position yourself closer or further from your subject, but it's so worth the good quality. And it shoots off in lower light situations without a problem.

    You have my email, I would be happy to help you out. {as much as I can}

    disclaimer: I am not a professional, just a mom willing to help out with what I do know. hehe

     
  • At April 21, 2010 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous JoEllen said...

    Courtney, I also hope to have a big girl camera some day! The pictures you already take are wonderful, I can't wait to see the ones you take with your new camera. I have really enjoyed reading your blog, btw. (I read it when the link comes across my fb page!) Keep up the wonderful work!

     
  • At April 21, 2010 at 8:52 AM , Anonymous CourtneyN said...

    Yeah, I'm currently on the prowl for my next lens. Thanks!

     
  • At April 21, 2010 at 8:52 AM , Anonymous CourtneyN said...

    LOL! Thank you! Yeah, hubby did good!

     
  • At April 21, 2010 at 8:54 AM , Anonymous CourtneyN said...

    LOL - thanks Christina. I'm sure I will be hitting you up with questions!

     
  • At April 21, 2010 at 8:57 AM , Anonymous CourtneyN said...

    JoEllen, thanks so much! Looking forward to showing off some new pics once I get a few tricks figured out. BTW, you made my day! :)

     
  • At April 21, 2010 at 11:18 AM , Anonymous kbelleicious said...

    I have a Nikon D40 and I love it! Its my fav gadget I have. These cameras take the best pictures! My sister in law bought a lens to take professional pics with because she wanted to start a business. I can honestly say her pics look 100 times better than mine with the normal lens. Thanks for stopping by Kitchen Belleicious! Hope you have a great day! Love ya
    Jessica

     
  • At April 21, 2010 at 1:40 PM , Anonymous CourtneyN said...

    Thanks, Jessica! Hope you have a great day as well!

     
  • At April 21, 2010 at 2:47 PM , Anonymous Mandy Pfeiffer said...

    Congrats on the new camera! I saw the title of your post and was about to flip out if Miss Presley was potty-training before Halle! =)

     
  • At April 21, 2010 at 4:22 PM , Anonymous Suzanne said...

    You are so LUCKY!! I am saving up for one. I use a Canon Power Shot also, for now. Can't wait for an SLR! Have you ever gone to Pioneer Woman's blog? She has great photo tutorials for SLRs! Enjoy!

     
  • At April 21, 2010 at 11:13 PM , Anonymous Julie said...

    I'm so excited for you!! My favorite lens is the 50mm 1.8! It's a fixed lens...so no zoom but it is the best for low light conditions if you don't want to use flash. I keep it on my camera all the time. I love it. You get great bokeh with it too because with aperture gets so big!

     
  • At April 22, 2010 at 7:43 AM , Anonymous CourtneyN said...

    Julie, thanks so much for the lens info! I'm definitely going to look into that lens.

     
  • At April 22, 2010 at 4:00 PM , Anonymous CourtneyN said...

    Yeah, I'm a Canon girl. :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home