One Mom's Perfect Imperfections

has been moved to new address

http://www.onemomsperfectimperfection.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

One Mom's Perfect Imperfection: First Sewing Project - Quilted Coasters

One Mom's Perfect Imperfection

One mom's journey through life and her hodgepodge of hobbies.

12 April 2010

First Sewing Project - Quilted Coasters

Okay, so sewing machines are proving to be a little bit of a pain for me.  Big Bertha died on me and I got Singer Sally.  Sally proved to be a little testy.  After using her for about 20 minutes or so, she began jamming up constantly and no matter what I did to fix the jam it just kept happening.  Thank goodness for friends that use sewing machines regularly.  Consensus was that Sally was already in need of adjustment.  So Sally went back in the box and back to the store.  I was conflicted.  Should I buy another Singer Sally or should I try something else?  I made my purchase.  And may have upgraded.  A little.  ;)  Home came Brother Barney - a completely computerized sewing machine with over 100 stitch options, quilting options and small scale embroidery.  I'm in love!  While I was afraid it would be way over my head in the beginning, Barney proved to be more user friendly than Singer Sally, in my opinion.   The manuals and DVD proved to be way more detailed and helpful setting it up.    Loading the bobbin was as simple as dropping it in.  That was it!  I'm terribly impressed with Barney thus far.  
    
                            
Now that I've properly introduced you to my new toy, here's my first sewing project.  Ever.  I saw this project on one of my favorite blogs, a pretty cool life.  The author, Cheryl, is constantly showing off her latest project (usually involving a sewing machine) and I have been dying to try some of her tutorials.  This one was easy peasy and perfect to start out with.  You can find the tutorial here.  Of course, hers are way cuter than mine but she's been doing this a lot longer than me.  Away we go!
I simply chose to buy some scrap fabric to start with since I really had no idea how this little project would turn out.  I measured it out and cut my squares.  
Then I did the same with quilt batting.  I didn't use the fusible kind simply because I couldn't find it.  I just pinned it down.  
Okay, off we go!  I admit to being nervous, this being my first time and all.  But really there was nothing to it.  It was quite thrilling in some way.
So far, so good...
Ah, I made it all the way through this little project and Barney hung in there the whole way through.

My finished quilted coaster.  Not too bad for my first first time around a sewing machine, eh?!

Works well, I'd say.  And some free advertisement for my husband's company.  ;)

Hope this inspires you to learn a little something new.  I can't wait to share my next sewing project.  Stay tuned!

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At April 14, 2010 at 2:31 PM , Anonymous Cindy said...

    I've always wanted to learn to sew...

    Great job! Your coasters look awesome! I went and looked at the tutorial, too...and SO neat! Really makes me want to get a Barney of my own. Maybe for Christmas this year.

     
  • At April 14, 2010 at 2:42 PM , Anonymous CourtneyN said...

    Cindy, I have to admit that it was way more fun than I had anticipated. I'm itching to play with Barney some more but life keeps getting in the way - and blogging. :)

     
  • At April 15, 2010 at 4:07 PM , Anonymous Lindsey@Kindred Spirit Mommy said...

    Congrats! What a great first project. :-) I'm looking into buying a sewing machine myself and my mom told me to stay away from Singer - my sister bought one and it jams up on her all the time. I know she's been in tears more than once, and she is very good at sewing. I have my eye on a Brother, too - now I'm encouraged it's a good choice! :-)

     
  • At April 15, 2010 at 4:14 PM , Anonymous CourtneyN said...

    Lindsey, thanks! I had never heard that about Singer. That explains
    a few things. So far, I've had zero problems with the Brother. Good
    luck!

    Courtney

     
  • At July 23, 2010 at 9:36 PM , Anonymous cheryl said...

    You go girl, thats a good start. Try looking into about.com or sewmamasew. Two good places to learn and get free ideas,patterns. search out free sewing videos on utube also.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home