One Mom's Perfect Imperfections

has been moved to new address

http://www.onemomsperfectimperfection.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

One Mom's Perfect Imperfection: To My Grandmother

One Mom's Perfect Imperfection

One mom's journey through life and her hodgepodge of hobbies.

12 May 2010

To My Grandmother

Monday, May 10th was my grandmother's birthday. Goodness, how I miss this woman. Because my mom divorced when I was very young and had to work while she also went to school, my grandmother was a very integral part of my upbringing. A lover of music, books, history and art, she she was fiercely loyal to her family and would give the shirt off her back to anyone who needed it. She was fascinated with our American Indian ancestors and their journey through history and her thirst for learning about them was apparent to anyone who knew her.

Her love for my grandfather, who also passed, was something incredible to witness. It was more than a model marriage and I learned how to love unconditionally, passionately, and with wild abandon. Their love story was something for the history books.

While I admit to being a sentimental fool, this post is a little out of the ordinary for me as of late. But it was inspired by my daughter, Presley. On Monday, May 10th Presley reached down for the ring on my right hand and gently tugged on it - my grandmother's ring. A ring that will one day be hers. At that very moment, a flood of memories surrounded me & sadness that my daughter would never truly know her great-grandmother took over.




But oh, the memories I will share with her and the talks I will have with her and her brother about their great-grandmother!

To my beloved grandmother, I miss you everyday. I long for the talks we had, the stories you'd tell and the love you'd pour out to your family daily. I know one day we will share those things again in the kingdom of Heaven. But until then, know that I am thinking of you and passing your stories on to your great-grandchildren. How I wish you could see them. See just how beautiful & wonderful they are. Do you see them? I like to think you do. Know we are thinking of you and remembering such wonderful memories of you. Happy birthday.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At May 12, 2010 at 7:11 AM , Anonymous Liz said...

    that's very sweet and sincere. I like that you photographed the ring on Presley's finger.

     
  • At May 12, 2010 at 9:36 AM , Anonymous wrsallee said...

    Beautiful post, Courtney. She sounds like she was a special person. I know how much it hurts as a mom when your kids do not have the chance to have someone in their lives who was so special to yours. I talk with my kids about their Uncle Chris all the time, but it's still hard that they do not get to play with him and talk to him.

    You write so beautifully about her... I'm sure she'd be proud!

     
  • At May 12, 2010 at 9:38 AM , Anonymous CourtneyN said...

    Robin, thanks so much. I know you, of all people, understand. Chris was such a good person and I'm sure he would have been the best uncle. I know you miss him. Your comment was wonderful. Thanks again!

     
  • At May 12, 2010 at 4:11 PM , Anonymous debi9kids said...

    What a beautiful & heartfelt post!

    ps thanks so much for your response on 5MFM. I'd LOVE to have you write a post :)

     
  • At May 12, 2010 at 10:27 PM , Anonymous alely lee said...

    what a beautiful tribute to your grandmother. while reading your post i started to miss my grandmother too. tear, tear,
    on another note, thank you so much for your sweet comments on my blog. i really appreciate that. i hope you were able to have that smoothie!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home