One Mom's Perfect Imperfections

has been moved to new address

http://www.onemomsperfectimperfection.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

One Mom's Perfect Imperfection: Are You Eating REAL Food?

One Mom's Perfect Imperfection

One mom's journey through life and her hodgepodge of hobbies.

05 March 2010

Are You Eating REAL Food?

Food has always been a concern for me. Okay, that's not true. It has been a concern since my late 20's. Let's face it - most of us don't worry about our food intake until our metabolism begins to slow down and the numbers on the scale go up.

I'm nine years old. I am live with my mother who is putting herself through school and working a full-time job at the hospital working crazy hours in surgery. Because of no support from my biological father, money is tight and we rarely ate meat or junk food of any kind mostly because we can't afford it. A typical meal for my mom and me is opening a few cans of vegetables and fresh fruit for dessert. Therefore, rather healthy eating habits are established very early on for me and for that I am truly appreciative. However, my mother eventually remarries and our lifestyle changes. The older I get the more involved I become in extracurricular activities and eating on the go becomes a necessity. My love for junk food is born.

I am 18 years old. I'm off to college and with college comes even more junk food as well as beer. Lots of beer. And lots of calories. But who cares? My metabolism is still ticking away and burning all those empty calories without me doing anything.

I'm 28 years old and I'm in love. We're getting married. I'm marrying a man who has constantly struggled with his weight his entire life. He comes from a family that is overweight, fighting a battle with diabetes and heart disease and obviously has poor eating habits. I notice for the first time that my clothes are fitting differently, I'm more tired and I'm putting on a few extra pounds. My romance with junk food has flourished.

I'm 35 years old. We have two beautiful children. I shed most of the baby weight from my pregnancies but can't seem to shed the last 10 pounds or so. Because of the kids, eating habits have improved but can't seem to find the time to exercise with two little ones running about my feet.

Sound familiar? Motivation is a problem when it comes to exercise. But I think our biggest problem is the kid of food we're eating. Food Inc. opened my eyes to a lot of things. Some things I already knew but it definitely helped open my eyes to a real problem. A lot of the "foods" we're eating is not really food. Full of preservatives and processed crap is not healthy. We all know this. So why do we eat it? Because it tastes good. Because it's easy. But do we want our children to constantly struggle with weight, diabetes, & heart disease? I definitely do not. And I don't want to be widowed at a young age. And I don't want to miss my children's weddings or my grandchildren.

We're eating this:


Funny right? Toy food. But I thought it an accurate representation of the kind of food we usually put into our bodies. FAKE food.

We should be eating this:


Michael Pollen has a book that was pretty incredible, Food Rules. Basically, it's a very helpful guideline that shows us that eating does not have to be so complicated. And he's right. While educational, the book is also pretty witty at times. One of his rules is don't eat anything that your grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. It made ME laugh anyway. But how true?! If your grandmother doesn't know what it is, most likely is processed crap.

So I'm curious.... What is a typical meal for you? For your kids? I want to do better. For me, my husband, my kids. I no longer want to fight with my food or my body.

Happy Friday to all of you!



Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • At March 5, 2010 at 12:52 PM , Blogger Lori said...

    Wow, total opposite from the McD junk to the healthy veggies and fruits. Looks like you have the right idea, sometimes it's hard to find the time to cook though. Try substituting to get you started, like instead of that hamburger and fries, have you ever tried the Boca or Morning Star veggie burger alternatives? There are quite a variety and they are really good and instead of fries, cut up potatoes, spray a pan with Pam and put them in the oven to cook, and add a favorite veggie and you have a fairly healthy dinner. Have you ever tried spaghetti squash? It's so good with spaghetti sauce and served as a side to a meal. Try some low fat items as opposed to what you are buying now. Like I said, it really looks like you have the idea with all of those wonderful veggies and fruits in your picture. Good luck and have fun with trying new things.

     
  • At March 5, 2010 at 2:27 PM , Blogger Amanda said...

    I think it's also really important to think about food rather than just putting it in your mouth.
    I'm trying really hard to do that at the moment.

     
  • At March 5, 2010 at 2:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I recently watched Food, Inc. and it has really made me re-commit to eating well. We had, over time, slipped into bad habits again. I love my farmer and his family. They are real people who grow real food. It really does make a difference in the quality of food, my family's health, and even spiritually- knowing that you are eating food that has been treated humanely as God intended.
    Thanks for blogging, Courtney!

    -Susan

     
  • At March 5, 2010 at 9:17 PM , Blogger liz said...

    Did you just watch Food Inc recently? I seriously believe it's something every single human being owes to themselves to sit and watch. It, along with the 64 Rules, is a great synposis of his Omnivore's Dilemma. Although we've been moving more and more organic in the past 5 or 6 years, we've now started cooking things at home. I tell ya - Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals have changed our lives!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home