One Mom's Perfect Imperfections

has been moved to new address

http://www.onemomsperfectimperfection.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

One Mom's Perfect Imperfection: Marketing Ploy or Great Product?

One Mom's Perfect Imperfection

One mom's journey through life and her hodgepodge of hobbies.

09 June 2010

Marketing Ploy or Great Product?

Some would say that gullible is my middle name. My husband definitely would. While I admit to being somewhat gullible, I like to think that it's not so much being gullible as much as being desperate to find balance. If a product can save me time, I'm all over it. I love my Swiffer wet mop because I eliminate the need for pulling out a bucket, a separate cleaner, a mop, washing the mop, rinsing the bucket - you get where I'm going with this, right? I blogged about trying to find balance a while back and unwillingly had to admit that I'm not Superwoman. But I'll never give up the search for time/money saving products.

A few months ago I caught an infomercial about the Shark handheld steamer. Have you seen this? I was extremely curious about it because the sales pitch included how much safer this product is than all the cleaning products we're buying these days as well as what a time saver it is. Well, after hearing that, I knew I wanted to hear more! It comes with all these different attachments and pads to clean just about everything imaginable. Even windows.


I begged my husband to look into it. I'm not sure he ever did. I'm gullible, remember? But since then I've watched the prices drop a bit and admit that I am still curious about this product.

While looking it up the other night, I ran across another Shark steam product:





I have a very large hardwood floor that takes a very long time to clean and it's also hard to keep clean. So now I'm wondering about this product as well. But before I purchase one...

Do any of you use either of these products or know someone who does? I would love to hear what you think of it. Please be honest. Am I buying into a marketing ploy in my desperate search for saving time and finding balance?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Labels: , ,

22 Comments:

  • At June 9, 2010 at 6:45 AM , Anonymous Lindsey Rowland said...

    Just an fyi....For whatever reason Disqus won't let me sign in under a open id.

    My mom bought the shark steamer a few years ago and she loved it. I haven't heard her say much about it lately but I think she still uses it all the time. She got hers at Bed Bath and Beyond (with the 20% off coupon) and it does her tile floors and her hardwood floors.
    I also know someone who bought the aqua mop (or the h2o mop... I think it must be bought online or from the tv ad) and they swear by it over the regular mop.
    I wanted one but never broke down to get one for my pityful floors at the old house. Now that I am at a new home I may have to look into getting one now. I hate the thought of a crawling baby on floors that may still have chemicals on them.

     
  • At June 9, 2010 at 7:08 AM , Anonymous Courtney said...

    Thanks, Lindsey! Disqus has been acting all kinds of crazy lately. If they don't get their act together, it will be put in the trash.

    Glad to hear some good results with these products. I'm like you - I hate the thought of my kids crawling around in my floor full of chemicals. Or dirt because the less harsh products aren't doing the job.

     
  • At June 9, 2010 at 7:33 AM , Anonymous Liz said...

    what do you currently use on your hardwood? i use Zep and a special mop type thing. so no bucket nor water required.

     
  • At June 9, 2010 at 8:15 AM , Anonymous Elizabeth J said...

    We have the Oreck Steam it and it is great!!! It has a longer pad (that is thinner) and I liked it b/c they are made here in TN.

     
  • At June 9, 2010 at 8:20 AM , Anonymous Shannon said...

    Nope I don't own either one, we have carpet...which I am not a fan of!
    I am curious to see how it works for you if you do purchase it!

     
  • At June 9, 2010 at 9:16 AM , Anonymous Jes said...

    You are probably gullible.

     
  • At June 9, 2010 at 9:17 AM , Anonymous Courtney said...

    I use a microfibre mop and a spray specifically for this type of floor. but it takes forever and I, personally, don't think it's getting my floor really clean.

     
  • At June 9, 2010 at 9:18 AM , Anonymous Courtney said...

    I haven't looked into that one, Elizabeth. Thanks! Safe to use on hardwood?

     
  • At June 9, 2010 at 9:18 AM , Anonymous Courtney said...

    Shannon, if I cave and buy one or the other I will be sure to post about it!

     
  • At June 9, 2010 at 9:19 AM , Anonymous Courtney said...

    Ya think?

     
  • At June 9, 2010 at 10:01 AM , Anonymous Natalie@mommyofamonster said...

    Hmmm...I'm no help here! I have tile and use a big, heavy duty mop thing that looks like a vacuum cleaner

     
  • At June 9, 2010 at 12:23 PM , Anonymous Mandy Pfeiffer said...

    My brother-in-law and his wife swear by their Shark steam mop! They use it constantly and have since receiving it for Christmas two years ago. I keep telling Trace I want one but have yet to take the plunge!

     
  • At June 9, 2010 at 12:58 PM , Anonymous Jennifer Westpfahl said...

    I tried the handheld one and didn't care for it. It was just as quick and nontoxic to use a rag and spray bottle of vinegar. But I know several people who swear by the floor one. If I had space to store it, I'd buy one because floor cleaning is a pain in the butt.

     
  • At June 9, 2010 at 4:18 PM , Anonymous Julie said...

    I love my shark steamer...the handheld one. It works wonders in the little cracks of the toilet hinges...on faucets, window...just about anything. And no need for harsh cleaning supplies.
    It's worth it!! IMHO!!

    The floor steamer is enticing..you'll have to let me know if you get it!!

     
  • At June 9, 2010 at 8:02 PM , Anonymous cheryl@ a pretty cool life. said...

    I've watched the infomercial for it sooo many times! I feel like I must buy one!!

     
  • At June 9, 2010 at 9:28 PM , Anonymous Courtney said...

    Thanks anyway, Natalie. Glad you at least stopped by! :)

     
  • At June 9, 2010 at 9:29 PM , Anonymous Courtney said...

    REALLY?? Excited to hear that because I am really leaning towards this baby. I'm thinking it might be perfect.

     
  • At June 9, 2010 at 9:30 PM , Anonymous Courtney said...

    Jennifer, you are so right. I hate cleaning the floors. SUCH a pain. I'm really looking at the floor mop.

     
  • At June 9, 2010 at 9:31 PM , Anonymous Courtney said...

    I'm so glad to hear someone say they love that thing. I keep watching the commercials and think... How can that not be great?

    I definitely will let you know about the floor steamer. I'm eyeing that puppy, too.

     
  • At June 9, 2010 at 9:32 PM , Anonymous Courtney said...

    I'm hearing great things about both of them. I'm trying to decide which I NEED first. :)

     
  • At June 10, 2010 at 1:24 AM , Anonymous Amy said...

    I see this informercial all the time. I love that people commented on here about the product...I have been eyeing myself. Maybe I'll cave in for the floor one.

     
  • At June 10, 2010 at 7:42 AM , Anonymous Courtney said...

    Amy, I'm thinking the same thing. Looks like the floor steamer is a big hit. And it's not too expensive either.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home