One Mom's Perfect Imperfections

has been moved to new address

http://www.onemomsperfectimperfection.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

One Mom's Perfect Imperfection: Update

One Mom's Perfect Imperfection

One mom's journey through life and her hodgepodge of hobbies.

03 February 2010

Update

Last week, I blogged about my struggles as a wife, a mother and just trying to fit it all in and find some sort of balance in my life. I told you I was going to pray and hand it over to God. Having done just that, I have learned some amazing things! God is teaching me daily. It's been a very short time but I have realized so much about myself and what truly matters. See what happens when you dust off your bible and get back into His word?

A couple of years ago, I purchased a book of devotions, "Devotions for Women on the Go" by Stephen Arterburn and Pam Farrel. I thought it would help me stay on track and motivate me to read my bible. Each daily devotion is one page along with a few verses from the bible. Simple, right? So I was diligent about my devotions and feeling really good. Then I skipped one day. Then another. And soon another. The book of devotions and my bible ended up in the drawer next to my bed for quite some time. Last week the book of devotions resurfaced with my bible. And wouldn't you know, the devotions seemed to be written just for me over the last week. Coincidence?

One devotion spoke of keeping focus, identify distractions, ask for help. Sometimes, we as women pride ourselves in being able to do so much ourselves that we forget that it's okay to ask for help sometimes. I read something once that said something like pride is tasteless, odorless and colorless; yet, it is the hardest thing to swallow. How true. Women don't like asking for help. But sometimes we need to do just that. Also, learn what can wait. You are to ask yourself, Do I really need to do this now? This is probably my biggest hurdle to jump because I start thinking of all the chores that need to be done, exercise, the kids' needs, etc. and I start to feel overwhelmed. I want it all done right now. Having a clean house might be somewhat important, but it's not the MOST important thing. The Superwoman persona will have to be put to rest.

I learned that God will provide what I need when I need it and not a minute sooner. A good suggested prayer, "Lord, help me not feel the need, until it is a need." Refer to Matthew 6:25-34.

2 Peter 1:3 says, "As we know Jesus better, His divine power gives us everything we need for living a godly life." God created each of us with tools to overcome anything. So I can overcome each of my struggles, if I just rely on Him. The book asks us to consider His gifts:

  • A brain to learn new tools
  • A heart to feel pain - but also peace, joy, and hope
  • An ability to give and receive affection and affirmation
  • Power stronger than your own through your relationship with Him
It goes on to say that the choice is ours: let the gifts sit unwrapped and unused - or use His gifts to go on and go forward. Pray: "God, show me what you have already given me that will help me move forward."

Finally, Matthew 9:29 - "Because of your faith, it will happen."

Need I say more?


Labels: , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At February 3, 2010 at 10:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    great post... isn't it great to see God answer our prayers! Just one more thing that shows us we are not alone, He is alwasy there! One thing that I heard this week that really spoke to me was....
    God's delay is not always His denial!
    Such a great thing to hear while trying to sell our home, host two birthday parties in the next 3 months, buy a mini-van before August, and then have a baby in August.... Our timing is not always His timing! But he will help us through it!

     
  • At April 18, 2010 at 8:53 PM , Anonymous Laura said...

    Great post! I have trouble giving God the reigns, especially when it comes to timing! Often times I'll look back on the times when I was being stubborn and thinking "I know best" and will just laugh. Of course God needs to be in control..he created control. He knows my next step...I don't.

    Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a blessed day :)

     
  • At April 18, 2010 at 10:27 PM , Anonymous CourtneyN said...

    Laura, I have the same problem. Letting go & letting God is not an
    easy thing to do - at least not for me. Glad you enjoyed the post!

    Courtney

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home