One Mom's Perfect Imperfections

has been moved to new address

http://www.onemomsperfectimperfection.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

One Mom's Perfect Imperfection: Introducing....

One Mom's Perfect Imperfection

One mom's journey through life and her hodgepodge of hobbies.

21 March 2010

Introducing....

The Universal Sewing Machine Deluxe 744! And I have no idea how to use it! But she is out of the closet and all cleaned up. She's also very heavy! This is definitely not a lightweight plastic sewing machine you see today. I haven't found all the information on her yet but I'm guessing she was made in the 1960s. I'm currently searching for information on it and finding bits and pieces thanks to Google. What did we do before Google?


I've found a site that had information on how to get her threaded. So maybe I can at least find out if it works and take it for a whirl. Keeping fingers crossed.




Groovy, huh?! My sweet husband is searching for a instructions/service manuel online as I type. He's too good to me. Although, I think he's searching with hopes of finding one and preventing me from requesting a brand new sewing machine. Me and my hobbies. But for all you seasoned sewers out there, if you could point me in the right direction to find any additional information out about this machine, I would be very grateful. My husband would be elated.

I hope everyone has a great Monday!


Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

  • At March 22, 2010 at 10:43 AM , Blogger Tina said...

    How fun is that? I used to sew {with a sewing machine when I was younger}. It would be fun to make things again. Have any idea what you will make?

    And hey........I'm practically a GENIUS because of Google. {are you giggling?}

     
  • At March 22, 2010 at 10:58 AM , Blogger Courtney said...

    Hi, Christina! I found a tutorial for making quilted coasters that were simply too cute to pass up. It made me itch to use a sewing machine badly. So here I am.

    I AM giggling because I think the same thing about myself! ;)

     
  • At March 22, 2010 at 11:43 AM , Blogger liz said...

    "she" needs a name!

     
  • At March 22, 2010 at 11:50 AM , Blogger Courtney said...

    Liz, I'm thinking the same thing and have been trying to think of a good one. Though, I admit, the post would have been a little more fun had I introduced "her" by name.

     
  • At March 23, 2010 at 9:22 AM , Blogger Susan said...

    Have you joined needlebar.org? Is it made in Japan? How about the vintage japanese sewing machine yahoo group? Does it have any brand name stamped underneath? Like maybe Brother or Morse? Or JC1 or JA1 or something?
    Get the dust and fuzz out before you try to oil it. Take the needle plate off and pull the fuzz out with sharp pointed tweezers or a toothpick.It will likely be all over the feed dogs.There is also a yahoo group called wefixit that is all about repairing & refurbishing vintage sewing machines.
    I love this stuff!

     
  • At March 23, 2010 at 9:31 AM , Blogger Courtney said...

    Susan, thanks so much for all of your suggestions! I truly appreciate it! It was made by the Standard Sewing Equipment Corp. Does that help? Thanks again!

     
  • At March 23, 2010 at 1:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have 2 sewing machines in my possesion right now and I could tell you the first thing about them. I plan on learning so I can make Adeline all sorts of clothes. Post some tips for some of new to sewing okay!?!?
    Also I am ready for the Kelly's Kids party (if you still plan on having one), I have a catalog and tons of things circled!

     
  • At March 24, 2010 at 5:02 PM , Blogger Courtney said...

    Lindsey, as soon as I figure out what I'm doing I hope to post some tutorials on some cute projects. But I wouldn't look for those anytime soon. I'm still working on how to thread the machine. I didn't get a huge response for the Kelly's kids party but I might send out an email again and see if anyone jumps this time around.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home